Home » Society » Types of Visas » Parent Visa

Parent Visa

Parent Visa

A person settled down in Australia can be joined by their parents under different circumstances and under the various categories mentioned below:

Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (subclass 804)

This visa allows an elderly parent to reside in Australia with children who live in Australia. The child has to sponsor the parent or the sponsorship can also come from someone else who resides in Australia. The child should be settled in the country or be an eligible New Zealand citizen. The minimum period of residency is usually 2 years.

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (subclass 864)

Here the child should also be living in Australia. An elderly parent of a stepchild or child may stay in Australia provided that the child with whom they stay is settled, meaning they are either an eligible New Zealand citizen, permanent resident of Australia or an Australian citizen. The child should have been a legal resident in the country for at least two years and there are special provisions for a shorter period under defined circumstances.

Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 884)

Parents can join their children living in Australia for 2 years. This visa is not extendable. There are several preconditions attached to this visa. It also requires that a permanent visa be applied for before expiry of this temporary visa.

Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa(from subclass 884 to subclass 864)

Here again, the elderly parent should be sponsored by the child or some other individual residing in Australia. It is possible for partners and other family members to be included under certain conditions.

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from subclass 173 to subclass 143)

Parents can join their children who live in Australia. There is a non-refundable application fee. A “Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (Subclass 173)” should be held but application for a permanent visa should be in progress.

Parent (Migrant) Visa(subclass 103)

Under the rules of this visa, the child of the parent should have been residing in Australia legally for at least 2 years. Also, at least half of the children of the applicant should be living in Australia at the time of application. A parent with a tourist visa can also apply but should consult the Parent Visa Centre at Perth before applying.

Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa(Migrant) (subclass 143)

This is similar to Parent (Migrant) visa(subclass 103) with a few special provisions which can be confirmed by visiting the Parent Visa Centre at Perth.

So, we see that different visas are available depending on individual circumstances and one cannot generalize. It’s important to be specific about the particular circumstances for a parent to apply for the most suitable visa.

602 - Medical Treatment Visa

It is a special visa which allows people to travel to Australia, when they need to visit the country for medical treatments and consultations. The visa is also offered to those who need to support someone undergoing medical treatment and has applied for the visa and also to those who need to donate an organ in Australia.

With this visa, you can stay in Australia for medical treatment. You can also study upto three months, as long as you are more than eighteen years of age. You can also travel to Australia once you enter the country, or until the treatment is completed. You can travel as many times as you want, until the visa is valid.


You can apply for this visa if your other visa is refused earlier due to health condition. You can also apply if you are staying in Australia and have just turned fifty years of age. This is a temporary visa. While applying for this visa, you can be living inside or outside Australia.

You need to meet some financial, health and character requirements to be approved for this visa. You should not have a medical condition that would be a threat to the public health and you should not hold the visas that would be typically held by a Domestic Worker or the Domestic Worker stream of the Temporary Work Visa (International Relations)

To be approved for this visa, you should be able to prove that you have enough money to support yourself financially while you are in Australia and also have enough money for your travel and your treatment. You should also show that you have made all the arrangements for your treatment as well as other expenses that are related to your stay in Australia.  You would also need to provide proof that you can bear the expenses of anyone who is coming with you to Australia, including an organ donor, if any. Along with all this, you should provide proof that the treating hospital has approved the particular treatment that you would be undertaking.

Applicant should also meet some health requirements, which would depend on how long you intend to stay in the country and other aspects like the country of your citizenship, the time that you lived in another country in the past five years and what you are planning to do in Australia.  You would also need to provide proof that you are able to organize – and pay – for health checkups upfront, before you fill in the application for the visa.

You would also need to provide a character certificate from any country that you have lived for more than twelve months after you have turned the age of sixteen, in the past ten years. Also, you should not have any debts with the Australian government and even if you have, you should have them cleared off.

Time and Cost

The time and cost of the approval of the visa depends on several factors. Basically, depending on a case to case basis, an approval of a visa can take a day or around a month.

Types Of Visas

Immigration Info

Australian History

Facebook Twitter