James Cook University
James Cook University, the second oldest university in Queensland is a public university established in 1970. Sandra Harding is the present Vice- Chancellor of JCU. Over 20000 students are enrolled in the postgraduate and undergraduate programs offered at JCU. JCU is a member of Innovative Research Universities Australia since 2007.
JCU has three main campuses located in the tropical cities of Cairns, Singapore and Townsville. Mount Isa, Mackay and Thursday Island host JCU’s study centres.
Research activities at JCU focuses on areas including marine sciences, biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, genetics and genomics, tropical health care and tourism.
There are four faculties within JCU.
- Faculty of Arts, Education and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Law, Business and Creative Arts
- Faculty of Medicine, Health and Molecular Sciences
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
The following schools function under the four faculties at JCU.
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Indigenous Australian Studies
- School of Business
- School of Creative Arts
- School of Law
- School of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Nursing, Midwifery and Nutrition
- School of Pharmacy and Molecular Sciences
- School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sciences
- School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
- School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- School of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- School of Marine and Tropical Biology
- Graduate Research School
JCU manages many research centres and institutes as well.
Leading university ranking systems consistently ranked James Cook University among the top universities in the world. Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) enlisted JCU among the top four percent of universities in the world in 2010. The Commonwealth Government's Excellence in Research for Australia 2012 National Report recognized JCU’s research in the areas of environmental science and management, ecological applications and medical microbiology with five star rating. JCU is ranked 231st in the QS World University Rankings 2013.
JCU offers scholarships to assist the students achieve their full potential irrespective of their financial background. JCU has a variety of scholarships sponsored by the University, the Australian Government, donors, agencies and industry.
Types Of Visas
- Australia Day Replacement
- Launceston Cup
- King Island Show
- Tasmania Public Holidays
- Queensland Public Holidays
New Seven Wonders
- Migrating to Australia
- State Migration Sites
- Immigration Points Calculator
- Protect Yourself from Migration Fraud
- Immigration Advice
Awards In Australia
- Charles Darwin University
- University of Western Australia
- University of South Australia
- Queensland University
- University of Tasmania
Australian Prime Ministers
- Settling in Australia
- Studying in Australia
- List of Cities in Australia by Population
- Shark Killing in Australia Developments
- Australia Time Zones
Australian High Court Judges
Australian Government Structure
- Department of the Treasury
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
- Department of Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government
- Department of Infrastructure and Transport