If you have your own home in Australia, then you should seriously consider getting insurance to cover it. Home insurance in Australia covers not only the physical structure of the dwelling that you live in but also the contents within.
Home Insurance Quotes
The value of quotes will depend on the extent of cover which you are ready to pay for. You may want just a basic coverage which would include your home and a limited amount of valuables within it. You can also have full coverage including a certain value, say up to $50,000 to cover damages to your guest's property.
Home Insurance Policies
The types of policies, as mentioned above vary according to the extent and type of coverage which you choose. Some of the categories which might interest you are as follows:
- Fire or lightning
- Vandalism and mischief due to malicious intent
- Breakage of glass as part of the building
- Collapse of building(s)
- Ice, snow or sleet
- Freezing of plumbing and other systems and appliances
- Falling objects
- Sudden and accidental damage due to surge in electric supply
- All perils with exceptions like defined items such as flood, earthquake, war, nuclear accident. (A comprehensive list is usually given in the policy document.)
- Coverage for jewelry and other valuables.
Home Insurance Companies
Some of the better-known Australian home insurance companies are:
- Insurance Group Australia
- ING (now known as OnePath)
Home Insurance Claim
In the unfortunate event that you have to file a claim on your home insurance policy, the claim procedure in quite streamlined in Australia. There are stringent laws governing the claims procedures hence, insurance companies are bound to honor your claim if it is proved to be valid. It is however advisable to do a thorough check to ensure that you are presenting a valid claim.
Home Insurance Reviews
Reviews of Australian insurance companies can be found on the internet. Make sure that you select a company whose site has both positive and negative reviews as you can be sure that those comments are not posted by employees.
Home Insurance Cost
You should consider the total cost of insurance to ensure that it is within your budget.