A Child Born Overseas to an Australian Citizen
You are considered an Australian citizen under two conditions: if you are born in Australia before August 20, 1986 (unless one parent was a consular officer or had diplomatic privileges of another country); and if you are born after August 20, 1986 with parents or at least one parent who is a citizen of Australia or obtained a permanent residency in Australia at the time of your birth.
However, if your parents are Australian citizen but you were born outside Australia after January 26, 1949, you need to apply for Australian citizenship. When you apply, your application for Australian citizenship is by descent. If your Australian citizen parent was able to obtain Australian citizenship also by descent, he or she must have been residing in Australia for at least two years at some time in their life.
If you are a person born overseas to an Australian citizen parent and decides to apply for Australian citizenship, the said condition must be followed. After this has been fulfilled, you may proceed to the application of the citizenship. You apply for citizenship using Form 118 Application for Australian citizenship by descent. The same steps apply: determine if you are eligible, gather original documents, copy and certify your documents, and lodge your application in the nearest departmental office in your city.
The Documents Needed in your Application are as Follows:
- Proof of identity- at least 3 proofs of identity that shows your photo, name, birth date, gender, signature, current residence, documents of good character, and other supporting documents.
- Good character documents- National Police Checking Service (NPCS) Application/Consent Form that assessed your good character, and if you are 18 years old or over, a penal clearance certificate of the countries you have visited is required.
- Supporting documents: There are cases in which your application requires supporting documents such as adoption papers, descent application form, change of name, passport, etc.
- Do I Need to Sit For Australian Citizenship Test?
- Where Can I Sit For the Australian Citizenship Test?
- What Happens on the Day of Australian Citizenship Test?
- Australian Citizenship Test Rules
- Australian Citizenship Test Statistics
- History of Australian Citizenship Test
- Practice for Australian Citizenship Test
- Australian Citizenship Test Resource
- Australian Residence Calculator
- Australia Penal Clearance Certificates
- A Child Born Overseas to an Australian Citizen
- Australia Support Dual Citizenship
- Australian Citizenship and Travelling
- Australian Citizenship Knowledge Test
- What does Australian Citizenship Mean to You?
- Australian Citizenship Test: Tips for having a Peace of Mind the Day of Your Test
- Australian Citizenship Test: Tips on Taking this Multiple-Choice Test
- What about Resource Book “Australia Citizenship: Our Common Bond” ?
- Australian Citizenship Test: Why Australia Need One?
- Australian Citizenship Test Eligibility
- Australian Citizenship Practice Test
- Australian Citizenship Fees
- Australian Citizenship Laws
- Australian Citizenship Celebrations
- Australian Citizenship Laws: The Past and Present
- Book Australian Citizenship Test
- Citizenship Test Requirements and Exemptions
- Tips to Pass the Citizenship Test
- Requirements to Take the Australian Citizenship Test